New Jen's Horde


Friday, January 28, 2005

Black Panther Revolutionary Wedding

 
I can't remember what I was searching around for a while back when I found this article describing a Black Panther wedding from 1969. (It was from the Black Panther Newspaper Collection if you want to find more articles like it.) I saved it because it pulled at my brain and I wanted to come back to it.

I find myself wondering a few things as I read this. Are these two still alive? Still married? Do they still hold these ideals? Do the children, who are older now than I am, remember singing, "We want a pork chop, off the pig," after their free breakfast that morning?

I am always fascinated by the internal workings of social movements, whether I agree with them or not (or even if I'm rather ignorant about them, like the Black Panthers). I wish there had been a picture accompanying the article, so we could see what it meant to look "radiantly revolutionary." I can't seem to find a picture of the uniform, but according to this it consisted of "...black berets, creased black slacks, black leather jackets, starched powder-blue shirts, black ties or a black silk scarf tucked in around the neck, and shined black shoes."

Anyway, that's all I know about that subject, I just thought it was interesting...


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?