New Jen's Horde


Monday, February 21, 2005

Lucky Thirteen!

 
Next month, Davin and I will have been married thirteen years.

Anniversaries always cause me to reflect on all of the amazing things Davin and I have been through in our marriage, from the miraculous to the tragic. I met Davin when I was 15, and he's been my best friend through everything, including Anya's premature birth and 4 months in intensive care, the loss of our unborn baby, the high risk pregnancy/bedrest with Maya and Sage, and Tiernan's frightening skull surgery and the aftermath of infection. We've stuck together through the times when we had money, and the times when we had to explain to a judge why we didn't. No matter what it was, we weathered it side by side.

We've got four great kids here with us on Earth, and one waiting in Heaven. We've got a super life together, and we share the same values and goals. We work hard to make life run smoothly and to make each other happy.

We were too young, too broke and too inexperienced to get married, but we've made it work, and we're still in love and still committed to each other. We're older and more experienced now, but apparently we're never going to get that money thing figured out! Which brings me to my next point...

How does one celebrate an anniversary with such a great guy without spending a lot of money? I looked at the traditonal and contemporary wedding gift list for the 13th Anniversary and came up with lace, textiles and furs. Wow, how completely underwhelming! "You mean the world to me, here's a doily, a hanky, and something we just won't be affording this year!" Besides, what do you buy for a guy that's fur? He's just not into the whole pimp daddy thing, although I guess that would make buying the "gold jewelry" for next year easier, I could just get him something for his "grill".

Then, I thought of a romantic getaway, and I found this neat list of Bed and Breakfasts in Colorado. Then, upon further inspection, I realized we wouldn't need babysitters because we'll need to sell the children to pay for a weekend at some of these places, yikes! :-0 We could probably find somewhere cheaper, though, and round up some sitters for the teeming horde, and it could be a fun weekend...

Does anyone have any better ideas? I'm open to suggestions. Call me, email me, leave a comment, whatever. But, if you know of something Davin's planning, don't tell me (OK, that's a total lie and you know it! Tell me all about it and I promise to act surprised!)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?