New Jen's Horde


Sunday, August 28, 2005

If you could ask a dead person any question, what would it be?

 
This weekend, the Gilpin Historical Society had their annual Cemetery Crawl. Actors research the people buried in one of the 12 cemeteries in Central City, and dress in period costume and tell the stories of their lives. This year they re-enacted 13 graves from the Oddfellows Cemetery, which dates back to the 1800s.

The "spirits" were doctors, miners, lawmen, founders of the town, pillars of society and others.

CC-Mary

This woman, Mary, was very engaging, and told of how her husband remarried three years after she died, and how the new wife took over her life and probably even got her clothes, but wasn't buried next to her husband like Mary was.

At the end of her presentation, she asked if there were any questions. Maya, my seven year old, excitedly raised her hand and asked, "When you were buried, did you have any clothes on?" I could tell why she asked, because the woman had made mention that her successor got her clothing, but it didn't stop me from having that "Lord, take me now" feeling.

Luckily, Mary was a good sport and said, "Well, would you want to go to Heaven naked?" Maya said no, and Mary replied, "I didn't want to either! Of course I was buried in my clothes!" and they both laughed.

That was the only question my children asked all day. Yeah, we're fancy.

Comments:
Haha, kids say the darnedest things.
 
What an absolutely wonderful outing. I'm sure that was a great event.
Your daughter's question was a good one.
It shows she was listening to the lady's speech.
 
I was not thinking that when Maya asked about the clothes...but she made a very good point.

I read a book where a girl whos parents were killed saw her mom's clothes on another lady. It really upset her.
 
Yup, sounds like our family! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?