New Jen's Horde


Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Sound Effects :-0

 
Yesterday, I was talking to my dear friend Anne while she was on her cell phone, and I heard her get into a car accident!

It didn't sound nearly as awful over the phone as it would have in a movie, and I had the added benefit of hearing her yell at the other driver "I HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT!" as it was happening and then she told me "I have to go," so it was pretty obvious she wasn't injured and was in full possession of her faculties at all times during the incident. And that it wasn't her fault (isn't that always what you want to know next, after you're assured that people are OK? Maybe I'm just a bad person...)

Before you worry, it was a mere bumper kiss between two vans, and no one was hurt. It wasn't Anne's fault, the other driver HAD run the light.

It started me to wondering...with the news stories on how bad it is to talk on your cell phone while driving, and how often everyone does it, it seems like we'd hear this sort of thing all the time. I thought I'd do some research, and I found this article that shed some light on the subject.

[T]he hard data tells a different story.

The oft-repeated "driving with a cell phone equals drunk driving" comment is based on a small 1997 Canadian study that didn't take other driving distractions into account. A much more comprehensive 2001 University of North Carolina study found that cell-phone use was responsible for only 1.5 percent of distracted driving accidents -- completely contrary to popular belief.

Much larger risks were outside events, other occupants in the vehicle and drivers adjusting radio and CD players.
The article goes on to say that cell phone usage has been the victim of statistical and political manipulation, and that, while it's not good to be distracted while driving, the use of cell phones causes less accidents than other distractions that we think nothing of, such as children in the car, or eating while driving. (My BIL totalled his car while eating, no lie!)

So, for future reference, drive responsibly no matter what's going on in your car. And, if you're talking on your cell phone and you get into a fender bender, do call the other person back right away like Anne did. Even though I was pretty sure she wasn't hurt, that didn't keep me from picking up stakes and moving myself to Freakout City until I heard from her that she was A-OK and on her way...

Comments:
They actually tested this on Mythbusters. Two of them drove around a closed race track while talking on a cell phone and then also while intoxicated. And the results were that the cell phone was worse than drunk driving.

However, there were no other distractions in the car, like other passengers or radio adjustments etc...

And I agree that other things in the car can be just as distracting. Shoot for DH things outside the car are so distracting that I want to grab the wheel from him! I still don't get why he can't just ignore stuff and drive. And he doesn't like the way I drive???

I'm glad that your friend is okay. I have to wonder if Michelle's accident was while she was on the phone...maybe I'll get the details today when I go see her.
 
The cell phone vs. drunk argument just doesn't hold water logically. Neither does the cell phone vs. distractions - in either case, your vision (looking at the kids in the back, the passenger seat, the CD player/radio, the fast food bag next to you...all these conspire to remove your eyes from the road for that couple of seconds.

Talking on the cell (except when you're dialing) doesn't take your eyes off the road. Logically, it's really no different that conversing with a passenger - the only difference is that you tend to imagine what they look like, where they are..

I'd like to see that Mythbusters, because when I drive and talk on the cell I'm as steady as when I'm off. I also take precautions, like manuevering my car (when possible) into a low-density area of the road.
 
I've seen ladies putting makeup on while driving.
My hubby has a circus going on while he drives: Big Gulp of Mountain Dew, Laptop, News on the radio, talking on his cell phone...
It's a wonder he stays on the road!
 
I don't drive so I really shouldn't say anything, but cab drivers make me real nervous when they chat a mile a minute as I'm trying to give them directions, or telling them to slow down
 
I would have been freakin' too. Oh, and for the record....I had way more accidents before I got a cell phone. LOL I have wrecked almost every car I have driven. I swear...I will never ask to use your car.;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?