New Jen's Horde


Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Me and Johnny? We go way back...

 
I saw "Walk the Line" this weekend, and I just feel the need to tell everyone that I want credit for liking Johnny Cash since I was a kid, ie WAY BEFORE the movie came out. I've never been a fan of country music, but I think it's reasonably arguable that he wasn't a typical country musician.

I was explaining my feelings about this to a friend and she equated it with all of the recent converts to the Lord of the Rings trilogy that came since the movies were out. She and her husband have been longtime fans of the books, and while she's glad everyone's enjoying the stories, it's weird now that it seems EVERYONE has a dog named Frodo when they used to be the only ones.

Do have the experience of being an old-time fan of something that regained popularity? How did you feel about it? Any "Bohemian Rhapsody" lovers that got inundated with company after Wayne's World? Anybody out there listen to The Who before it became the theme song to every CSI franchise? You know who you are, now let ME know!

Comments:
I know, it's giving me the creeps, too! Maybe I should have it tick down to something we don't have to prepare for?
 
There, I changed it to New Year's Day! That's better...
 
My husband has always liked him too - I didn't, but I think that is because when I was little, and my parents were still together, my father hogged the TV and would make us sit through Hee Haw every Saturday. This ended up making me LOATHE anything country for years. The past couple of years was when I started to like him, and I really hope we can go see this movie in the theater. :)

What kind of ticker did you have? Countdown to Christmas? I have one too! *blushes*
 
My son and I were Harry Potter fans from the moment the first book came out. If you recall, it took a little while to become the smash hit it was. My son was dressed as Harry Potter for Halloween (there were no costumes available at that time to buy so we made our own). People would come to the door, "Oh, who are you? The Nutty Professor?"
He was really bummed.
"I'm Harry Potter!"
"Who?"
Now, who DOESN'T know who Harry Potter is?
 
This is about to happen to me when the Narnia movie is released.I have been a Narnian FOREVER :)
I am pleased though that it is about to happen :)
 
I have several examples.

1) Berlin before Top Gun came out.

2) Pfaltzgraff Tea Rose pattern before it hit K-Mart!

3) Bainbridge Bears 3 years before my Mom found them and only 5 years before they were "discontinued"...you can still find them though.

And Rabbits all year long...not just for Easter. Oh wait! No one else (except for other rabbit nuts) has gone for that one yet!
 
I didn't know I liked Johnny Cash until I saw the movie. I admit that freely.

But I was all about Bohemian Rhapsody LONG before Wayne and Garth :)
 
hmmm...I guess I'm one of the more recent converts to LotR...but! I started knitting and spinning before it became as popular as it has.
 
I've always been a fan of Johnny Cash too.
 
Yup, like the Narnia books. I loved those books as a kid, and have re-read them periodically since (and tried to get my kids into them). I can't believe they have a polar bear pulling the white witch's sleigh in the promo posters! I know I'm going to be unbelievably angry during it, but I'm going to see the movie anyway. The only bright side is that my kids might think that since it's "cool" enough to be made into a movie, maybe the books might be good, after all. hmm...

And Jen--do you remember going down the slide in Hawaii singing "I fell into a burning ring of fire...I went down down down and the flames went higher" ??!! My first memory of Johnny Cash--we were what, 5 and 6?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?