New Jen's Horde


Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My Library...I mean Bathroom!

 
Cube's post Loo Surfing got me thinking about bathroom reading in general.

We are very serious about our bathroom reading. Not only do we provide a variety of materials from books to magazines to catalogs in the magazine rack, we also hang an everchanging display of educational posters and other artwork. Right now, it looks like this:
bathroom

The way I see it, this is the one place in the house where we are all a captive audience. The white board is for notes to each other and/or things we are trying to remember. Right now it is showing 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, which I'm trying to memorize. Below that are two posters, one is a timeline of Ancient Egypt, the other is called "Gifts of Ancient Egypt" and shows the neat stuff that came from that culture. Before Egypt we had Mesopotamia up there.

Next to that are posters showing examples of proper capitalization and punctuation, who doesn't need that? Also, we're nearly done with our calendar that tells us an interesting fact about each day. And on the floor is, of course, the ever present magazine rack.

Obviously, this decor is not something Martha would find appealing, but it works for the horde.

Comments:
It looks like you have a homeschooler bathroom.

Our bathroom is small. We don't have an opposing wall across from the toilet, but we do stare at the shower curtain that is decorated with cats. Occasionally we stare at a real cat who is playing in the tub.
 
Awesome, Jen! Someday I hope to homeschool my kids (I suppose I'd better work on the husband thing first, though), and I have a feeling my decor will reflect just what you've described.

Meanwhile, my Orlando Bloom wall calendar -- complete with Post-It Notes offering monthly "affirmations with Orlando" -- will have to suffice.

Rock on, homeschooling mom!
 
We have a lot of Uncle John's Bathroom Readers. There's a whole series of them for kids. Educational factoids for use while "In Use". The series for adults is pretty good too. I like "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into History"
 
I think it's great. That info is being read several times each day, and it will be in your kids' noggins. That is using everything you can to fill their minds with knowledge.
You've got one smart bathroom!
 
Learning on the potty is always a good thing!
 
I LOVE it! What a neat idea. Interesting place to put the communication board. ;)
 
I love the potty whiteboard. That is a very handy tip!
 
I know that I always learn something while I'm in there! LOL! I was gonna mention where you can get more Bible verses, but got distracted.
I'm gonna try the calendar in my bathroom for 2006. Maybe it will work.
 
That is so cool! I'm always embarrassed for people to use my bathroom because I have tons of reading materials and notebooks in there. The way I see it, if you're gonna be in there for a while - you might as well make some use out of your time!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?