New Jen's Horde


Thursday, December 22, 2005

Thursday Thirteen #9

 


Thirteen Things Jen has become addicted to in 2005


1. Knitting: I could always knit before but this year I'm finally able to take it seriously. You can take it seriously, too, if you want, there are great video instructions here at KnittingHelp.com if you have the inclination!

2. DVR: If you don't have this yet, get it. It can be TiVo, or whatever brand your cable or satellite company offers. Pay them whatever they want for it, it's that good! We skip commercials, watch the shows we want whenever we're ready (I have no idea when my favorite shows are even on, they just appear in the menu ready to watch when I sit down in front of the TV. It's like Christmas every day!)

3. OK, this is an old new one... X-Files: Now that my kids are old enough to enjoy some of the episodes (we are careful to stay away from the more scary ones) I am reminded of what a great show this was, and it's so fun to watch the kids get into it, too.

4. SilverJewelryClub.com: I don't know how they do it, but they have gorgeous sterling silver jewelry available for just the cost of shipping. The page changes every 15 minutes, so I usually have this running in the background when I'm surfing and I check in occasionally to see if they're showing anything I'd like.

5. House. I don't know what it is about this show, but I can't get enough of it.

6. Girl Scouts: We are fortunate to have a leader willing to create a multi-level homeschooling troop where siblings are encouraged to participate, so this has been a wonderful experience for us so far. All of the kids love it, and they love the kids they get to see there. Even Tiernan (who calls it Gwiw Scouts) has a special friend there that he can't wait to play with there.

7. Spanish: I've been loving the Spanish lessons I've been getting, and we've signed the kids up to take Spanish, too!

8. Newsboys: I don't like a lot of Christian music, but these guys have a great blend of fun, good music, and complete sincerity in their beliefs.

9. The Ring Trilogy by Koji Suzuki: If you've seen the Ring movies, you have a tiny taste of how complex, fascinating, and scary these books are. Apparently the author is also considered to be an expert in child-rearing in Japan, which is pretty wild in itself, sort of like having "Stephen King's Complete Mommy Book." Seriously, check these out, you'll be glad you did

10. Coroner Stories: Don't get me wrong, there are TONS of blogs that I love reading and check every day (you can see them all in my sidebar), but this one is really unique. Written by a medical examiner, it covers all sorts of interesting topics...and you can write in with questions in you like!

11. The Forums at Craftster: Imagine all of the crafters that ever were, all in one place, showing you how to make the neat stuff they're making, and encouraging everyone else at the same time... Craftster's about as close as you're going to get to this utopia!

12. Radio DavidByrne: Former Talking Heads frontman David Byrne has created a streaming radio station where the songs only change once a month. I don't always like them all, but every month there's something great there that I wouldn't have come across otherwise, can't beat that!

13. And, last but not least, iTunes: Yes, I realize I'm probably one of the last people on earth to get into this, but I am just unable to tear myself away from this product. A quick download, and you're on your way to being able to get a hold of almost any single song or album you could want to find. Once I figured it out, I could record mix CDs for my friends and family, edit playlists so that I can have my own private Radio Jen'sHorde going on in the background all the time, and also keep my purchased CDs digitally so I can make new ones when we scratch the crap out of the old ones in the car. Even with all that, I'm sure I'm missing out on some cool stuff that it does, but I'm just not that cool anymore!



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
Leanne Renee Running2Ks Laura at Radical Mama MommaK Sallwood Interstellar Lass Lisa at The Shizzle Veronika Fireflies and Frogs Jennifer at HappyFamily Judy at Insecure Colleen at Musings Allison Audra Nello Holly Kat Anna Shelli

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




Comments:
I love the Newsboys too! We just love "In The Belly of a Whale" from the Jonah movie, but I also love "Breakfast" & "Shine" and almost everything on the Adoration CD... I shudda asked for that one.

I'm glad you caught and enjoyed #9 on my blog :D The caffeen must have finally kicked in there. hee hee

I'm trying to shop around for broadband...wish me luck.
 
Jen, the DVR, the saving grace, the thing that lets my kids watch movies without help. I love it. I don't have to buy 20 DVDs. I love the DVR. OK, that is enough of that :) Love your list.
 
oh... i LOVE me some Tivo! it is the greatest invention EVER! oh, well, maybe not EVER... but it's pretty up there... great list!

my 13
 
I have gone to check Coroner Stories. I bought Mary Roach's "Stiff" when it came out...morbid, I know...I have a morbid fascination with such things!
Thanks for visting me....hope you have a WONDERFUL Christmas! :)
 
I've been to Coroner stories blog and I agree. It is interesting. I like to find blogs written by doctors, psychiatrists, counselors and others who have unique careers. I'm trying to find a police officer who has a blog but I'm not having any luck yet.

My 13 are up!
 
Have never even tried or seen iTunes. I'm still in the CD era. I'll catch up once my savings account does. Tee Hee.

My favorite Christian group right now is Jericho Road. You'll love them.
 
After having a DVR for some time now, our lives would be quite upset without it.
Thanks for the silver link.
Newsboys are very good. There's a group called 4Him. I was very close to one of the singers when we were in college. This was prior to his being a part of 4Him. We did a lot of singing together. They are a very good group too.
 
Ahhh... knitting. And. iTunes.
Love them. A lot!

Merry Christmas!
Mine are up!
Diary of the Nello
 
We have a lot in commom. I still watch the old X-Files because I love them so. DVR is better than
sliced bread. Coroner stories, morbid, yes, but fascinating. I was into forensics before it became all the rage. Interesting!
 
We used to love the X Files.
How did we survive before DVR & TiVo?!
I'll have to check out that Coroner's site because I'm into forensic stuff like that :)
 
I love the x-files! My kids got into it as they got older too. Great show. I still catch it in re-runs from time to time. :)

Merry Christmas!

Kat
 
Wow... what a GREAT list! I used to be a total X-files junkie, right from the start of it, when it was on Friday nights.

And DVR? A Mommy's best friend! If it weren't for DVR, I'd never get to see some of my favorite shows, because they come on before the kids are in bed. It's a beautiful thing.

I will definitely check out that book. I loved the LOTR movies. I remember trying to read The Hobbit as a teenager, but it was too hard to stick with it.

iTunes I don't know about yet... but I sure want to.

Merry Christmas!

P.S. My thirteen are up
 
Yes, the DVR is a fantastic invention. I rave about it whatever chance I get! Although it does have me watching more TV now. And we are huge X-Files fans here - our oldest likes watching them with us. And we just got a new computer this year, so iTunes was new to me this year...awesome!

I'll check out a couple of those other sites you mentioned! Thanks!
 
I am totally out of touch on iTunes. I'll have to come to you for instructions, jeez. I am truly the last person on earth to jump on that bandwagon.

I don't do the DVR thing either - I looked at TiVo at Best Buy with such confusion on my face - heck I am not even up on the XBox or PS2 stuff! We still use game boys here! LMAO!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!
 
Wow! That Coroner Stories blog is a real eye opener! Thanks for your blogs, I really enjoy them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?