New Jen's Horde


Saturday, January 21, 2006

Decoupage

 
We learned how to do basic decoupage at our Girl Scout meeting, and I was struck by the idea that I want to cover our beat up pine kitchen table with decoupage. (If you're not familiar with the medium, check here for some high brow examples, and here and here for some funkier stuff. Oh, and don't forget the toilet seat!)

I've sorted out that if I cover it with polyurethane, it will be fine to use and safe from my horde of destructors.

So, here's my dilemma. What to do?

Would you go with a theme that matches your kitchen (assuming you had a theme, which I don't), or just go crazy with it and have fun? What would you put on it? I've seen flowers, maps, dragons, pages of newspapers, tarot cards, Bible verses, etc.

Ack! Too many choices!

Comments:
Well, if it were my kitchen, I'd go with all kinds of dried and pressed flowers or leaves--because of the coloring and the curtains.

But you could even go nuts with family pictures :)

Or, you could post your kitchen and put up a poll!
 
I'm so not crafty. I'd have to start very small and work my way up to tables...
 
I've seen it done on restaurant tables...very funky fresh :) LOL Not sure though...I'm pretty anal, it would have to match the current decor. I always thought old newspapers would be awesome (like from early turn of the century--last century, of course) but getting a hold of some would be difficult. The bible would be cool...but it would seem a bit sacrilegous.

Gum wrappers ROFL
 
Wow, you guys are FAST and full of ideas!

I don't have to post my kitchen, it's a big zero. I got nothin' going on in there. Nothing matches, so in theory I could start fresh if I wanted to.
 
Oh, I would go with the "fun" theme...whatever struck you as appropriate or wonderful. It's a lot of space to cover.

I think you did tell me that you liked the falling snow on my site but I'll always take extraneous compliments. :-)
 
Old postcards look great too,
I could never do this my husband is an antique restorer, master craftsman.
I don't touch the furniture LOL
 
Comics would be kind of cool...that way your kids have something to read while at the table! Heehee!
 
Ooh, you guys have a lot of good ideas! So cool!
 
My first thought was lessons for the kids to work on while eating. LOL
My second thought is either place mats or a cool table cloth, so the table is "always set". You could even get some pictures of plates & silverware to put in there too. hee hee.
 
Jen, I think the answer would be obvious! Random, weird newspaper articles and the bizzarre photos that accompany them.
You'd never run out of reading material either.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?