New Jen's Horde


Friday, January 13, 2006

SWAT Team Shoots Armed Fla. 8th-Grader

 
A suicidal eighth grader who pulled a handgun in class and forced another child into a closet was shot by a sheriff's SWAT team member Friday when he later threatened deputies, Seminole County officials said. Read Article
I want to find some statistics on this, because I think at this point there are more student shooters per capita than any other demographic, including the postal workers who are so famous for coming unhinged and killing co-workers that we call it "going postal." Does anyone know where I can find this kind of information?

Should we start saying that an unglued shooter is "going schoolkid?"

EDITING TO ADD: This piece of information was just brought to my attention. As you can read here:
Over 3,500 students were expelled in 1998-99 for bringing guns to school. Of these, 43% were in elementary or junior high school. This means that, in a 40-week school year, an average of 88 children per week nationwide are expelled for bringing a gun in school. And these figures include only the children who get caught.
According to their footnote, this information was taken from U.S. Department of Education. Report on State Implementation of the Gun-Free Schools Act: School Year 1998-99. October 2000.

I am having a hard time thinking of some place that would be less safe than the schools to leave a child. I guess maybe on the battle front in the Middle East or in prison, although I think most prisons have a better record than this... Sorry, just getting a little testy.

Comments:
I hope not!
 
Scary. Very, very scary.
 
This is horrific!
 
Horrible stats, as far as I know there has never been a school shooting here.
Our gun laws are a lot stricter !
 
This is a scary trend.
--------------

All I can figure out is that you must have visited my blog just as I was creating a post using that picture of my dad & me from my flickr account. Maybe in those few seconds, it published on my blog, then went to the draft section of my blog where it stayed until I published it later that night.
(Insert Twilight Zone music!)
 
Sickening. So sad that babies are getting their hands on guns.
 
A scary post, Jen.
 
Actually that boy had a realistic pellet gun. I'm concerned about why so many kids are suicidal when you have your whole life ahead of you.
 
Here's another story about it, from the Chicago Tribune.
 
Thats enough to make me want to homeschool.
 
I see now that they're saying it's a pellet gun, and that he modified it with paint to look more realistic.

Yes, I do wonder why so many kids are suicidal. What's wrong with this system?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?