New Jen's Horde


Thursday, December 27, 2007

I'm alive!

 
I wasn't sure I was going to be...but here I am. BTW-Christmas was pretty good, how was it for you? I still haven't mailed my out of town presents, I suck.

Anyhoo, the reason I wasn't sure I was going to be alive, was that for the first part of this week I was pretty sure I was dying. I wasn't sick, I just stopped caffeine cold turkey. I went from drinking 6-8+ cans of Diet Coke a day, to none. Caffeine is a big trigger for both migraines and fibromyalgia, and I decided it was time to get rid of it.

Caffeine withdrawal is awful! I had my last can on Friday, because I knew Davin would be home this week so I could have any withdrawal symptoms in peace. Man, it was bad. I pretty much slept and hurt(!) the first couple of days. Then I got hit with a migraine that wouldn't go away. I finally looked up the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal and found out that what I was going through was pretty routine:
Irritability
Restlessness
Muscle stiffness
Difficulty concentrating
Headaches, moderate to severe
Chills and/or hot spells


I also found some interesting information about caffeine withdrawal. There have been some pretty interesting studies lately, one of which led to the recommendation that caffeine withdrawal be classified in the next DSM as a psychiatric disorder!

Caffeine Withdrawal Is Real

Researchers are saying that caffeine withdrawal should now be classified as a psychiatric disorder.

A new study that analyzes some 170 years' worth of research concludes that caffeine withdrawal is very real - producing enough physical symptoms and a disruption in daily life to classify it as a psychiatric disorder. Researchers are suggesting that caffeine withdrawal should be included in the next edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), considered the bible of mental disorders.
I believe it!

I feel pretty much back to normal today, almost a week later. I've been drinking a ton of water (which I used to do, before I started drinking DC all day!) and I think I'm on my way.

Speaking of being on my way, I'd better get on my way towards the bathroom!

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Oddly enough, we won a coffee maker earlier this month.
 
(((HUGS))) and lots of sympathy! I'm glad you're back on your feet!

BTDT on the caffeine withdrawal... the headache was TERRIBLE!!

I'm glad you're over the worst of it and drinking lots of water. This will be so good for your migraines!

Maura
 
My long-range plan is to never have to stop drinking caffeine again - I did it for all 4 pregnancies and didn't enjoy it at all. If it does trigger my migraines... I don't care. :)
 
I know those headaches...ouch. I've never been up to that much caffeine before though...usually it's just my cup in the morning and then an occasional pepsi or coffee in the evenings. But it hurts every time I give up the afternoon drink. darned body should just take what I give it and be happy.

Glad you're feeling better.
 
Good for you, Jen. I'm a fellow-Diet Coke addict, although I did switch to caffeine free earlier this month. I'm sure it still isn't that good for me.

Hope you continue to feel better!
 
Wow, now I am scared. I never do New Year's Resolutions but this year, giving up caffeine and all soda in general was my plan. I am looking forward to the health benefits, but not the pain it will take to get there.
 
Oh man! I feel your pain, but not literally. I decided to quit drinking Diet Pepsi and switched over to iced tea and water and that was hard enough!
 
I am so sorry!! I went off caffeine a while back to see if it helped with my migraines, then I went back on it because I ran out of decaf...LOL.

Now I am back off it, just for future reference, don't cut caffeine two days before Christmas or you'll have a killer headache ALL day long Christmas day.
 
I can't imagine how hard it must be to live with crippling migraines. Luckily, because I'm used to my 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning to get started. To my credit, I only drink soda occasionally.

Glad you're finally feeling better.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?