New Jen's Horde


Thursday, November 10, 2005

Thursday Thirteen #5

 

Thirteen Things about Jen


1. I am loving these new styles we get to choose from! Thanks, Leanne!

2. Today is my friend Anne's birthday. Happy Birthday, Anne!

3.. We're not supposed to be home today. We're scheduled to be at a field trip to NREL, but Tiernan woke up in a puddle of, shall we say, stomach contents... I figure that, even though the field trip sounds really neat, it's not neat enough to risk erupting while we're there, or to have the other moms mad at me when their kids are turning inside out next week.

4. He was also sleeping in a puddle of Hotwheels and Matchbox cars, I found over 20 of them when I stripped his bed to wash the linens. That's pretty normal for him, though, and I don't think it contributed to his upheaval. It may help break him into the high stakes world of performing swamis, though, should he choose that as a career path. It'd save us some college money, at least.

5. My kids are big on tossing their cookies, as it were. They must have a leaky valve or something. Anything can put their systems on reverse, even something good like telling them it's almost Christmas. We do a lot of carpet cleaning around here.

6. One of our little friends had a surgery when she was a baby, because of some other health issues, that made it so that she couldn't vomit. It's called a Nissen Fundoplication and it prevents anything from going from the stomach backwards up into the esophagus. Well, not everything. Now that this little girl is getting older, she's very proud of that fact that she can belch, and she will proudly produce pretty amazing ones on cue.

7. Because of several factors, this little girl fits right into our family. But, the juicy belching also means that if we ever get our armpit fart band off the ground she is welcome to come on tour with us.

8. On to more genteel topics, I finished the sweater I was making to donate to Guideposts Knit for Kids. It really didn't take as long as I expected. Those of you who knit will be able to tell I didn't use stockinette stitch, but I think it still turned out well.
Donate sweater

9. I started a new sweater using seed stitch. I'm making a larger size, so it won't go as quickly as the other did. I'm OK with that, I just like to knit to help keep me sane. (Too late! Ha ha!) Fine, to salvage what's left of my sanity.

10. Oops, I think you all just witnessed me talking to myself. Because somehow having four kids talking to me all day just isn't enough, I've got to nag myself, too.

11. I know I've spoken here before about my kids' love for Godzilla. I don't really understand it, even though I've seen about 400 million Godzilla movies now (and there are even MORE, you wouldn't believe how many Godzilla movies there are.) They just eat it up, even though there's really no internal logic to them. For instance, Godzilla can be good or bad, depending on the movie. Or good AND bad, depending on how many Godzillas are in the movie, and whether any of them are robots. (Not like Gamera, who's always "a friend to children everywhere.") That's not even taking into account how many other monsters there are in the Godzilla universe. But the kids know and love them all, and can tell you the backstory on all of them.

12. I bring this up because Anya received a copy of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters for Game Cube last month for her birthday. She's been playing this nearly non-stop (with short breaks for sleeping, meals, other GC games and some educational activities) ever since. Godzilla's piercing shriek has become the soundtrack to our lives. It's becoming reassuring to me, like the smell of cookies baking, or the feel of a favorite shirt...yep, there's Godzilla screaming away, all is well in the world.

13. Speaking of all being well with the world, I should go check on the kids. It's quiet...too quiet. Take care, Thirteeners!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Leanne 2. Mar 3. Momma K 4. Better Safe than Sorry 5. Sleeping Mommy 6. Janey 7. Carnealian 8. Jenny 9. Nearest Distant Shore 10. http://www.looseleafnotes.com/ 11. Marisa 12. Tommi 13. Texas_Ivy10 14. Lisa 15. Lily Bleu 16. Interstellar Lass 17. Mrs. Fun 18. squashedtoad 19. Cori 20. mommy d 21. http://www.danno.org/blogs/index.php 22. Mia Spiral 23. Jeej 24. Running2Ks 25. Marybeth 26. Audra 27. Keb 28. Allison 29. Coyote Mike 30. Karin 31. M.E. 32. Chatty 33. http://www.thedailyhaleigh.com/ 34. Buffi 35. Megan 36. Veronika 37. Calliope 38. Heather 39. Blondie 40. Jak 41. Catherine 42. Renee 43. Barbara

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




Comments:
What a wonderful project, Knit for Kids! I didn't know about it. You are right: we learn many different things by blogging and visiting other blogs! Thanks for stopping by. I linked to you !
 
I am SO glad I read this AFTER lunch...GEEERRRRROOOOSSSS!
 
I still have traumatic memeories of family travels as a kid and someone was always carsick. There were 9 of us!

I had something else to day, but now I forgot it (talking to myself too).
 
Godzilla? How on earth did they get into that? I think its kinda cool. Maybe I will rent one for my kids and see what they think. All that talking and the mouth moving a million times faster than the words. Gotta love a good Godzilla movie! Thanks for linking me.
How do you link someones name? Is it hard?
 
Oh, poor Tiernan! And on behalf of mothers everywhere I thank you for not sending him to school sick, even for a field trip. I actually had a mother tell me on the phone the other day that I should send my (just diagnosed with strep) child on to his field trip, no matter what the doctor said.

I was not amused.
 
I hope the sickies get out of your house soon. That is no fun! Knit for kids is a wonderful thing! Good for you. Here is my link... http://multiplemania.blogspot.com/2005/11/thursday-thirteen_10.html
 
How could so many gross bodily functions make me laugh so hard? I love this!

Here's mine:
http://running2ks.blogsome.com/2005/11/10/thursday-thirteen/
 
Ohhh, kid barfing. When my brother-in-law was little, he barfed ALL the time and it was a given that he would barf in the car on the way to vacation. He's 22 years old now and his family still teases him unmercifully over his puking.

Must be a kid thing.
 
I am such a failure at knitting. I have several very ugly scarves as proof ;)
 
I'm glad I found your blog. Sorry your baby is sick. Take care of yourself because mama's don't have time to be sick.

My Thirteen Things is on my blog...when you have time.
 
cute sweater! funny thirteen! hope your munchkin feels better soon..

thanks for stopping by :)
 
You have me laughing so hard right now! When you have your Armpit Fart Band (with guest artist, Juicy Belcher) up and running please let me know when you will be in my area. I will be the first in line to buy tickets. I might even camp out to make sure I get good seats!
 
Hope Anne has a happy birthday! Sorry about Tiernan's cookie tossing episode. Hope he's feeling better soon.
I like the new TT styles :)
Mine are up-
 
I don't think I'd be good at knitting. Hooray for you, though.
I hope Tiernan is feeling better. What a bummer to have to miss the field trip.
 
Hmmm~ I do not envy your cookie tossing experiences...but you made my stomach quiver when you also spoke of baking cookies. Yikes...not a good picture!

Hope all are getting better and you can keep your cookies in the oven. LOL.
 
My boys are famous for sleeping in a bed full of toys, too. It seems like it would be uncomfortable?
 
wow you're good. I don't know if and when I'll get to comment to everyone so I can get some comments too...busy.
http://lillyput.blogspot.com/
 
Thanks for visiting my link. Your sweater is so cute! Thanks for that knitting link also.
 
"Because of several factors, this little girl fits right into our family. But, the juicy belching also means that if we ever get our armpit fart band off the ground she is welcome to come on tour with us." ....sounds like my kinda people! Thanks for stopping by!!
 
You crack me up, kids tossing cookies, carpet cleaning, armpit bands and talking to yourself? {{{hugs ya loonie}}} I think you need a day off!

(giggles) I haven't played my armpit in a long time.

The blue looks great on you! :D

Hugs (real ones!)
 
Wow. I like your new format,too.
That was funny about sleeping with all the matchbox cars. My son would be sleeping with legos if I let him.
Your sweater looks great. I haven't had any time to knit lately, and I'm starting to miss it, especially now that the weather is getting cold.
 
I love the sweater! It's adorable. Knitting helps me maintain at least a shred of sanity. So does blogging! I did a blanket using seed stitch for most of it - it takes FOREVER! But it looks good.

Here's my list: http://daydreamsandmusings.blogspot.com/2005/11/thursday-thirteen.html
 
I saw you on Running2K's blog...thought I would stop by. I have seen 3 or 4 Thursday 13...might have to try sometime.

Incase you would like to visit me:
http://harmonia.blogsome.com

Have a great weekend!
 
I can't explain it, but I love Godzilla too. Funny how I can't get my kids to watch the movies for more than 30 seconds before they say how lame they are. Go figure. I suppose switching homes would be out of the question...
 
I love the picture of your horde. Your Godzilla themed life is also pretty funny.
Trying to Catch Up: Thursday Thirteen
 
Mar, that's one of the things I love about blogging!

Janey, sorry, I should have put a warning, I guess!

Colleen, my kids have car troubles, too. We actually have rules about where you can throw up in the car (ie NOT on your clothes!)

Cori, I emailed you, did it go through?

Terrilyn, we homeschool, but same difference. I don't like it when people bring sick kids places because that just means we're going to be missing something next week when we get it!

Mommy D, it was fun to knit that sweater!

Running, glad to make you laugh!

Interstellar Lass, I think praying to win the lotto to do charity work is a perfectly good thing to do! Of course, I'd be doing charity work from my new boat...

Colleen, oh no! Poor guy!

BSTS-Thank you. My carpet thanks you, too!

MommaK, an ugly scarf will keep you warm just as well as a pretty one. Doesn't that sound like something you'd get in a fortune cookie, and then wonder what it really meant?

Marybeth, Thank you.

Audra, consider yourself linked!

Karin, thanks :-)

Buffi, I'll make sure to let you know when we're coming to your town. I'll even GIVE you front row tickets, since you're our first official fan!

Mia Spiral, thanks!

Veronika, thanks!

Jamie Dawn, I was sorry to miss it, but glad that he threw up BEFORE we got there. It could always be worse!

Sheri, that must have been scary for your mom. And thank you for the puke poetry!

M.C., until you said that, I didn't realize I'd mentioned cookies twice. Weird!

Dawn, thanks!

Heather, I don't get it. My nephew does the same thing... Maybe it's like "play hard, sleep hard?"

Renee, missing the field trip gave me a little more time today than you had...

m.e., anytime!

Carnealian, well come on over then! We fart, too, if that is OK. Just telling you that in the interests of full disclosure.

Leanne, I TOTALLY need a day off. Or maybe more...

Texas_Ivy10, so you "get" the whole Godzilla thing! Dh and I watch a lot of martial arts films, so I guess there was no hope for the kids.

Catherine, I'm sorry you haven't found time to knit. I hope there's some time somewhere for you. I hear you on the legos!

Jessica, seed stitch does seem to be taking longer, but it looks so much nicer that it's worth it. How big was your blanket?

Harmonia, nice to meet you!

Cube, I can't really switch homes, but you're welcome to come over at watch (and play) as much Godzilla as you can stomach!

Barbara, thank you! That's the first picture I ever made by combining other photos. It took forever and I'm convinced my dh was questioning my intellectual capacities by the end. :-)

EVERYONE-Tiernan is done throwing up, and no one else has started, so I think we're OK! (All of you knock on wood now, please.)
 
Ok, I'm hoping to do my first Thursday 13 today (11/17)...wish me luck!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?