Thursday, March 02, 2006
The Geek 13 (#17)
Thirteen Things that Prove JEN AND DAVIN are Total Geeks, you may already know some of these...
1. When Davin was moving the furniture around so that we could get the kitchen appliances in, he actually said, "I wish we had a bag of holding."
2. Tiernan's knickname is "Buki." You remember, right? When they re-released The Empire Strikes Back in theaters with the extra digitally remastered footage, there was that scene where Jabba the Hutt was talking to Han Solo in Huttese and he said, "Han, mi buki," which was subtitled as "Han, my boy." Surely you remember that!
3. Of course, you're all still saving up for when we renew our vows on the Enterprise, right?
4. When we were pregnant with the twins, we wouldn't tell the names we'd chosen until after they were born. Instead, when anyone asked we'd tell them we were planning to call them Mulder and Scully.
5. Part of our wedding involved a water-sharing ceremony we wrote based on sci-fi author Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, you grok?
6. We actually know what qagh is, although I could never cook it as we don't like to chase our food around before we eat it. We've been known to use the epithet "P'taq" and to accuse others of having "no honor." Also, we know the meaning of the phrase, "Shaka, when the walls fell."
7. The mere mention of "It's just a flesh wound" is bound to send us into fits of giggles, then wholesale quoting of vast parts of the movie.
8. We've actually spent a great deal of time discussing the Magic Bullet, the possibility of a shooter on the grassy knoll and the contents of the Zapruder film. We do think that we could have done without Kevin Costner droning "back and to the left" for 45 minutes, though.
9. Davin's a computer guy, and knows them inside and out. He's been using, programming and fixing them since screens were black and green and they had far less memory than today's cheapest cameras. While I have no real computer experience other than being a user, I can add to my own credentials that I attended several sci fi fan conventions, sometimes in costume, when I was younger and had money and time to burn.
10. We routinely discuss the finer points of zombie living.
11. Our children recognize the entire cast of several Star Trek series, but we found out recently they don't know the song "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Priorities, man!
12. And, of course, the response to "I'll try" is always, "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." Isn't that how it is at your house?
13. I must end by saying that we come by this honestly. My dad is the one who got me into Heinlein and the Dune series. Davin's dad actually contacted TV stations when none in his area were running Doctor Who, and his mom made Babylon 5 required watching, so that we could discuss it at family gatherings. There really was no hope, was there?
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
Kimmy *~* Shelli *~* The Median Sib *~* Owlhaven *~* KDubs *~* Eric *~* Mar *~* flattenedfrog *~* libragirl *~* Denise *~* Frog Legs *~* Colleen *~* Trinity13 *~* Suzy *~* Surrender Dorothy *~* Better Safe than Sorry *~* Tutu Bent *~* Lyn *~* Lori *~* Sheri *~* Renee *~* HolyMama
(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Got my TT up!
My 13 are up!
Nice to know that there are other geeks out there as well...
Here's my thursday thirteen.
(What happened to your sidebar?)
My 13 are up! Thanks for linking me already!
And my Inquisition doll, it says
Get. The Comfy Chair
Linked from Shelli.
My tt are up
My 13 are up.
I occasionally blog about our D&D game.
We also quote Stargate alot (My hubby LOVES Jack and Teal'c) and have jokingly said that we're going to name our first child "Frodo" from LOTR.
My 13 are up.
Daarmok and Gilaad at Tinagra!Sasuke at Tinagra,his arms open ;~D
Got my TT up too.
I LOVE the Mulder & Scully thing. I'm sure people looked at you guys like... uh, you're kidding, right?
I think you guys are very cool, but then I'm a geeky nerd with a geeky, nerdy family, so take it however you choose.
My daughter's current movie obsession is "Serenity." It is a SciFi movie spin-off of a failed TV series. She LOVES this movie and has watched it probably ten times in the past two weeks.
Audition results are up
Anyway, Must say, "It's just a flesh wound" is heard very commonly around here, as is "Do or do not, there is no try" (Said in our best Yoda voice).
But off the sci-fi tangent...at nearly every meal SOMEONE says "With a nice side of chianti" and makes a Hannibal Lechter noise...
And people say Homeschooled kids aren't socialized!
But DH is an Engineer (the real kind, not the computer or train kind) and I'm a math major (with no degree). so that's nerdy, right?
I'm still considering my TT and if I'll do it this week.
(Yeah, still love your blog)
I have to admit that the Yoda quote is my signature on several forums. I also related with pretty much every other geekdom qualifier, as well.
But then again I never had a chance, either. My mother used to, as a special treat, let me stay up to watch Star Trek with her.
Did I mention that I love you guys?